Friday, June 5

Club News

The website of your local football club


Report by Ross Clark

The cold winter afternoon at the Memorial ground proved to be an abject setting for the Stags league fixture vs KS Gryff.

Wraysbury started in the usual 4-3-3 with the following line up;

Chris Randall, Luke White, Danny Nicholls, Carl Williams, Ollie Pitt, Harry Longman, Dan Scarlett, Alex Harvey, Jesse Antalika, Levi Smith © and Garret Pikulak.

Our subs bench was – Sean Hill, Mack Bermingham, Jack Quelch and Dan Stock.

The match started with the worst possible situation with Gryff turning the ball over in the Wraysbury half, before a through ball was ran onto through a stationery Stags back line, who were appealing for a flag that wasn’t coming, before being slotted underneath Randall. 0 – 1 and not a minute on the clock.

This early set back really seemed to rattle the Stags players who were unable to get our usual passing game going. Gryff, now content to sit behind the ball and break, looked very much like setting the challenge to come and break them down. With Wraysbury not able to penetrate the back line for much of the opening exchanges.

Things, however, did not get better when Gryff were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box, 29 minutes in. This was struck powerfully across goal and rifled into the bottom corner. 0 – 2 and Wraysbury now very much in a deep hole.

Wraysbury finally got something going with Longman, Antalika and Pikulak all combining with Pikulak through on goal, before seeing his shot well saved by the keeper. Wraysbury then had a penalty appeal turned down with Pikulak appearing to be caught in the box but the ref was unmoved.

At the other end, things went from bad to worse. Gryff were awarded another free kick, this time out wide. The same Gryff player attempted another strike at goal, however this time it was wayward and blocked. Unfortunately, this was blocked by the arm of Alex Harvey and the Ref decided that this was intentional and award a penalty kick. The Gryff striker dispatched it, sending Randall the wrong way. 0 – 3 and that was half time.

At the break, Wraysbury moved to a 4 1 2 3 formation and made a 1st Subsititution with Harvey being replaced by Sean Hill. This move put Wraysbury on the front foot but Gryff were proving to be incredibly difficult to break down. The Stags did have another appeal for a penalty turned down after Pikulak beat the keeper to a high bouncing ball, with the Gryff keeper taking the man, not the ball, However the ref was again unmoved. The match had really stagnated now with Gryff sitting in a deep block and Wraysbury struggling to get in behind.

The Stags did get a golden opportunity to get one back when Pikulak raced onto an Ollie Pitt through ball, turning inside and being taken out. This time, the Ref did point to the spot. Pitt took the kick and saw his effort well saved to the keepers right.

Full time Wraysbury 0 – 3 KS Gryff.

From Management, Ross Clark Said;

“This was a really uncharacteristic display from us today, we didn’t seem to get into the game until it was too late and we have to go away from this and learn a big lesson and fast. Credit to Gryff for their performance.”