Monday 24th May 2021

Wraysbury Village 2   Burghfield 4

(OG, Sillah)

Despite a great start and lead at half-time, the Stags end up on the losing side again at Wheatsheaf Park.

We began so well against Burghfield at Staines Town FC and was definitely the better side going into the break, but more injuries played its part again in the second half, despite a penalty save from Matthew Bonnett, we still went down by 2 goals.

A rainbow filled sky was the setting over Wheatsheaf Park this Monday evening. Mathew Hursey was handed his second start of the season with Stan Anum running late. Paul Reed was back in defence to captain the side. Macka Bermingham was back on the bench and George Gould arrived on the scene to make his full debut.

We started well, very rare that is to say for us, but we did and this led to a goal inside 10 minutes when Paul Reed’s corner deceived the goalkeeper who could only divert the ball in the goal. 1-0!

We had the upper hand and the better play. Hursey was like a Duracell bunny up top chasing down the defenders. Mark Sangster and Ollie Pitt were putting in fine display in the wing-back positions. Homes and Gould were calling the shots in midfield and Sam Sillah would definitely have had a goal sooner if the offside flag wasn’t constantly, dubiously, going up.

Though come half-time, and still leading, the alarm bells started, when Sangster was unable to continue in the second half and was replaced by Anum. Hursey was also suffering and played just 10 minutes of the half, but it was in those 10 minutes our lead was turned on its head. 55 minutes gone and we were now 1-2 down. Dan Stock came on for Hursey at left wing-back, after he was switched there when Anum came on. But just after the hour mark Cristiano Nascimento set up Sam Sillah who picked his spot to nestle the ball in the bottom, left corner. 2-2! We’re back in the game! We now believed we can go on…

But then that belief turned to despair, when Gary Currell was adjudged to have brought down their striker, although he and everyone else in red was adamant he didn’t touch him. Up stepped their number 9 to have his effort..SAVED! Matty Bonnett guesses the right way.

We were still in it, until the final 20 minutes when Burghfield managed to get behind the defence to slot a ball across for the tap in. 2-3! Now we were pressing to get that equaliser. Four defeats in a row just can’t happen. Then a chance fell the way of Stock in the box! But unfortunately, he couldn’t get the ball out of his feet and screwed his effort well wide. Big chance gone! We kept going right until the end, even Gould who was struggling himself with injury/fatigue. But in the last 8 minutes a ball went through for Burghfield’s striker, of which he left knowing he was well offside. All of our players stopped expecting him to go for but unfortunately their midfield jumped on the chance to run through the statues and run in on goal to slot past Bonnett at the near post. Game over!

Unlucky in some aspects not to get something from the game but another defeat just signals the end for sure of any title dream.

The Stags (3-4-1-2): Bonnett (c); Abbott, Currell, Reed (c); Pitt, Homes, Gould, Sangster (Anum 46); Nascimento; Hursey (Stock 56), Sillah.

Goalscorers: OG 10; Sillah 60.