Monday 12th April 2021

Wraysbury Village  3   Windlesham & Chobham United  0

(Dunstall (3))

Dunstall bags all three goals to make it back-to-back wins for the Stags.

Just two days on from our weekend win at the Memorial Ground, we were back in action at home again. This time it was our first league game played at Wheatsheaf Park, home of Staines Town FC, who have kindly allowed us to groundshare with them for midweek home matches for the remainder of the season.

With the quick turnaround, there were a few changes to the line-up from Saturday afternoon. Paul Abbott came in on the right side of defence in place of Sam Sillah for his first start, Josh Christopher was back with Codie Sumner rested to the bench and there was also a first start of the season for Dan Stock at left wing-back in place of Billy Hart.

We kicked off the first half having lost the toss and suffered with the sun in our eyes for majority of the first period but our defence played a good offside trap to not allow Windlesham much opportunity with the high balls over the back three. Clear cut chances were slow in coming with a few good passages of play down the right wing again for Alfie Fairhall. Gary Homes was almost booked in the first 20 minutes after three late tackles, which was noted by the referee but he kept his cards in his pocket. Christopher and Landi saw a lot of the ball in the middle also trying to provide openings for Dunstall to work his skills and Anum with his great hold up play. We did find the net but Dunstall was adjudged to be offside. The assistant referees certainly had to be all the ball with these high lined defences. There was a break in play midway through the first half when Windlesham’s Jack Foster landed awkwardly and looked to had suffered a nasty knee injury and needed to be replaced. Get well soon player.

More passages of play again from the Stags down the wings from both Fairhall and Stock produced corners which just couldn’t be directed into the goal from the deliveries of skipper Reed.

Then on 40 minutes came the breakthough when some good passing play on the edge of the box made its way to Landi who slotted through Dunstall to beat the offside trap, despite the protests from the Windlesham defence, and slotted the ball into the bottom left hand corner! 1-0 Wraysbury.

Looking good heading into half-time with the lead with just the one goal, but right on the stroke of half time we doubled our advantage when some good one touch passing on the halfway line saw Christopher lay the ball off to Stock, who chipped the ball over the defence with his right to Mitch Dunstall who found himself with acres in front of him to head solely towards goal. Once in the area he had time to round the keeper and slot the ball into the net! Half-time, 2-0 to the Stags.

Second half started, now under the floodlights, with one change at the break. Dan Stock was replaced by Mark Sangster, who was getting his first outing this calendar year. Windlesham made changes themselves, and the fresh legs seemed to give them more of the upper edge in the first 15-20 minutes in the second period. We rode our luck again at times, giving away silly free-kicks right on the edge of the box on three occasions. Bonnett was guilty of one of those “one for the team” type fouls, similar to the one he gave away on Saturday, which again saw him booked. All of the free kicks though were well setup, and even if they did go past the wall, Bonnett was in the right position to gather.

Up the other end Mitch Dunstall was full of confidence after his two first half goals and was itching to get his hat-trick and was probably unlucky not to have got it sooner.

More changes for us saw Codie Sumner come on for Ben Landi who didn’t disappoint in the middle again.

Earlier we said Dunstall was unlucky not to have got his hat-trick sooner but 10 minutes from the end he did just that when once again the great Codie Sumner found the through pass to Dunstall in the box and he had the simple task of tucking the ball home for his hat-trick! Superb! 3-0 and with surely now job done we made the last 2 changes with Matty Hursey returning to action replacing Josh Christopher who put a great shift in coming back from a knock and Evan Rawlings getting some game time in a Wraysbury shirt after a long lay off from a knee injury. He replaced Alfie Fairhall who put an excellent performance again himself.

With now the sun fully set, so was the game as the referee blew his whistle and another three points in the bag. The scoreline probably seems to be a bit harsh on Windlesham as they certainly didn’t put in a disappointing performance. We now move up to 3rd ahead of another huge game this coming Saturday (17th) against Berks County, who before tonight had won seven from seven. Tough game, but we will be full of confidence now going into this.

Mon of the Match, unreservedly goes to Mitchy Dunstall. A hat-trick and confident display not only shone for himself but brushed off in the team also. Being as it was a Monday night, those on the bench used Sky Sports MNF (Monday Night Football) to nickname tonights win after Dunstall calling it Mitchy Night Football. Team spirit at it’s best. Well played Mitchy.


The Stags (3-5-2): Bonnett; Abbott, Dewhurst, Reed (c); Fairhall (Rawlings 80), Landi (Sumner 60), Christopher (Hursey 80), Homes, Stock (Sangster 46); Dunstall, Anum.

Unused Sub: None

Goalscorer: Dunstall 40, 45, 79

Booked: Bonnett, Dewhurst