Saturday 10th October 2020

Wraysbury Village 4 Marlow United 2

(Dunstall, Homes, Dewhurst(2))

After 7 months and last weekend’s game at Reading City U23s postponed, finally competitive football was back for the Men’s side.

Our first TVPL Premier Division game was a tough one, up against a revamped, young Marlow United side back in the Thames Valley Premier League after sadly the pandemic forced them to drop out of the Hellenic League. This was never going to be an easy game but Wraysbury came out of the blocks fast and got their just rewards when great inter play the left hand side opened up the space in the middle to slip in Mitch Dunstall to slot home from 12 yards to give the Stags the lead within 5 minutes. From then on Wraysbury continued to dominate possession and then midway through first half an altercation in the middle of the park between Marlow’s number 10 and goalscorer Dunstall led to the Marlow man leaning his head in Dunstall’s which wasn’t missed by the referee and Marlow were down to 10 men after half hour. Despite the one man advantage, Wraysbury couldn’t extend their lead before half-time.

In the second half Wraysbury continued to pile on the pressure and eventually doubled their advantage when a Cristiano Santos corner left a bit of a scramble in the box and despite Johnny Walters best efforts to turn the ball goalwards on the deck Gary Homes popped up to lash the ball home. Said to be in a cruising position now Wraysbury let slip and a cross in for Marlow was headed home. Despite suspicions of a foul on Wraysbury centre half Gary Currell the goal stood, 2-1, game on again. Wraysbury made some changes with George Dewhurst coming on and making an impact scoring twice to give Wraysbury back that commanding lead. First one a well taken shot from the edge of the box and his second came after great work down the right side from Alfie Fairhall to beat his man getting to the byline and taking his time before picking out Dewhurst. Fairhall nearly got one himself and could’ve been a contender for goal of the season already after nutmegging not one but two players in the box before his shot was blocked. 4-1 and seemed to have the game wrapped up but within the last 10 minutes of the game Gary Homes was given a second yellow card for a challenge that the referee initially played advantage only to note the tackle and give Homes his marching orders.

And with the literally the last kick of the game Marlow got another goal when Austin was put through to slot past keeper Matty Bonnett, despite calls for offside. Full time whistle sounded before the ball stopped rolling in the net. Great performance from the Stags to grab all three points.